Black Ruthenium Calculator
How to use this calculator :
1. In the first box, enter the thickness that you want to plate to as a fraction of a micron (see notes below).
2. In the second box, enter the surface area of the article in square centimetres (cm2).
3. Click the ‘Calculate’ button.
4. Read off the amp setting for your rectifier, the plating time and the volume of replenisher to add before starting the plating sequence.
- Do not plate over 0.1 micron when plating on electroplated gold or silver.
- When plating on 9, 14, 18 karat gold alloys and sterling silver, thicknesses of up to 0.3 micron of black ruthenium are possible.
- Plating over copper or its alloys (brass) requires a barrier layer of 0.5 micron minimum of nickel then plate in 18 carat gold.
- The ability to plate in recesses decreases as the amount of blackening agent is increased.
- Plating rate decreases as the amount of blackening agent is increased.
- We recommend that after use, the ruthenium plating solution is returned to its storage bottle in order to prolong the life of the mesh anode.